Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feedback isnt working

Options
  • 26-02-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Well folks im obviuosly not a mod but i feel like id like to take this one up with the forum and see what everyone thinks.

Iv been coming through here a lot lately to see whats being said and what threads have been started etc and almost everyday its the same.
    Members are coming through and making complaints about the fact they may feel a little hard done by, by a mod in relation to a ban they had got which makes sense as its the feedback forum.

what i just cant understand is when people come here 90% of the time they are looking to have a problem solved or to air an issue that they have on moderaters hy are they bombarded with smart comments and pictures of cats with tag lines that are either not funny or make no sense? It seems to me like its just antagonising people.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Perhaps they should have gone to the Helpdesk? For help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

feylya wrote: »

so what are you saying then. that in feedback you dont receive help?

I have come here before looking for help. I got help.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My back is well fed in here thank you very much.

Humour helps keep the air clean in here. This isn't the Thunderdome or something.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Feedback is for giving suggestions and comments on the site, performance issues etc. If you want help, then more than likely the Helpdesk is the better place. Just because you got help here doesn't mean you should come here for help.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Perhaps you could give us some examples of what you are talking about OP?

I know that when people have a sincere problem, it is actually sorted out. It's the muppets we tend to tear to shreads, and I'm not seeing a problem with that.

Help Desk is for people who have a problem.
    Feedback, well, it's for feedback on different things to do with the site.
    Most people who post here just don't read the charter or they would know that already.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Perhaps you could give us some examples of what you are talking about OP?

Im mean treads like this Beruthiel. Im not here to start a big arguement. Im just trying to positivly contribute here thats all.

http://usenet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055242572

http://usenet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055241397

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

. It's the muppets we tend to tear to shreads, and I'm not seeing a problem with that.

Problem is, you're deciding who's a muppet, and that's wrong.

Help desk FTW!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I have yet to see a genuine poster get short changed in feedback.

It's the muppets we tend to tear to shreads, and I'm not seeing a problem with that.

Grover__s_Woe_by_Skorpios-712990.jpg

?

in both of the threads referred here the advice and professionalism is adressed promptly. Reading the first page of the poker thread you see the original poster receiving sound advice before it breaks down into shenanigans, after the points have been made.

edit: and in my opinion KAshMachine was kinda looking for a fight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I haven't seen anyone with a good case being turned away.
    stevoman wrote: »
    Im mean treads like this Beruthiel. Im not here to start a big arguement. Im just trying to positivly contribute here thats all.

First thread, OP wasn't sure what troll meant. Snyper was banned for his use of cat pics.
    Second thread, problem was solved. No problem there, snap/poker pics were after the event.

I see no problems so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Well, I personally think the first page of that poker thread was the most embarrassing thing I've seen on boards for ages.

But that's a matter for the thread itself, I guess :p

okay look im just trying to voice an opinion. If you guys dont think there's any need for improvment thats fine.

Well I'd keep an eye out for it alright but where I'm concerned at least, everyone gets treated the same here unless they prove themselves differently (ie. to be pricks or ignorant 12 year olds)

no one here is a prick or a 12 year old, just to clear that up

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The first link, I believe an Admin decided that this guy should be banned.

The second thread was answered straight away by the first two posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I think it can work if you are willing to actually come with an open mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

feylya wrote: »

I have been told more than a few times by mods to "take it to feedback" when there has been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055221133&highlight=feedback+how+were+you+treated

there was already a thread like this and the poll outcome was fairly even, except the cat bit :)

thanks for taking this on board appreciate it! i am guilty of posting some ridiculous remarks myself from time to time, but i do think thats this is a good service here as long as some highjackers dont come in to jump on a bandwagon and belittle the OP. Dare i say this but its usually ordidnary users guilty of this aswell!!!

Sherifu wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone with a good case being turned away.

I have.
    Snyper was banned for his use of cat pics.

How long did it take to ban this guy? Trolling and idiocy seems to be tolerated far more easily if its coming from the "right" side ;)
    I see no problems so far.

I think anyone who visits feedback regurarly knows there is a problem here. Look at the amount of threads bringing this up since Christmas alone.

Sometimes feedback reminds me of the way the current FF cabinet defend Bertie. They either know they are lying, or are just so blinkered to the reality of the situation they cant see the truth.

yeah regards snyper, he was at it constantly so he is. its really really annoying. Its almost like he was hanging around here backing up a mod with a cat picture everytime. seemed to me like he was licking some backside!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I have.
    I see you have brought your quest from the poker thread. Goodie.
    How long did it take to ban this guy? Trolling and idiocy seems to be tolerated far more easily if its coming from the "right" side ;)
    The admins have a life, he was banned quite quickly on that thread. I don't know what you mean by right side, i've seen many feedback threads have 'heroes' on both sides.
    I think anyone who visits feedback regurarly knows there is a problem here. Look at the amount of threads bringing this up since Christmas alone.
    Glad you mentioned this, even the admins remarked there have been many successful resolutions in 08. If anyone would know more than me or you, they would.
    Sometimes feedback reminds me of the way the current FF cabinet defend Bertie. They either know they are lying, or are just so blinkered to the reality of the situation they cant see the truth.
    Good man.

yeah regards snyper, he was at it constantly so he is. its really really annoying. Its almost like he was hanging around here backing up a mod with a cat picture everytime. seemed to me like he was licking some backside!!!

Don't think it's so cool to talk about him if he's banned. Now who's guilty of de-railing the thread?;)

togster wrote: »
    Don't think it's so cool to talk about him if he's banned. Now who's guilty of de-railing the thread?;)

c'mon now togster i think iv even been victim of a smart remark myself from him here once!

ps - point taken!!!!!!

wow. just wow. so you reckon that when people make fun of muppetry, its only against posters who are Normal Users, never against mods?
    as for snyper, he posted two pics in a row on a thread that was keeping fairly serious (at the time of snypers posts i think the OP was getting narky and arguing over something or other with Talliesin,muppetry,but muppetry that was getting a mostly serious response)
    DeV got rid of Snyper,as he said, because he had gotten on his nerves.

Proper feedback gets a proper response.Then again it also gets Boardsie Cards and Cats too,as JOKES.
    but the ones aimed to "belittle" the OPs, are usually for idiotic nonsense,or someone acting the fool, as Beruthiel said, they get "cut to shreds" if theyre acting the prat or causing shenanigans.
    seriously, the bandwagon is getting fairly full at the moment.

Yours sincerely,
    Boards Fanboy
    :rolleyes:

I see you have brought your quest from the poker thread. Goodie.

Oops ... I forgot people were only allowed to post in one thread at a time. My sincerest apologies.
    The admins have a life, he was banned quite quickly on that thread. I don't know what you mean by right side, i've seen many feedback threads have 'heroes' on both sides.

This particular guy was posting lolcats for a long time before he was banned. Even one of the admins admitted as much.
    Glad you mentioned this, even the admins remarked there have been many successful resolutions in 08. If anyone would know more than me or you, they would.

There have definitely been many successful resolutions, I admit that. But there (IMHO of course) are ongoing problems with feedback. These caused sometimes by idiots posting irrelevant and stupid pictures and comments. Do you not admit that?

The problem here is that there seems two camps ... the "fight da powa" idiots vs. the "boards.ie fanboys". Both are equally biased and blinkered. Both of these camps are unwilling to listen to or understand the other persons position.

Then there are the rest of the community in the middle attempting to be even handed and willing to listen. Unfortunately, sometimes this group are the silent majority ...

nerin wrote: »
    wow. just wow. so you reckon that when people make fun of muppetry, its only against posters who are Normal Users, never against mods?
    as for snyper, he posted two pics in a row on a thread that was keeping fairly serious (at the time of snypers posts i think the OP was getting narky and arguing over something or other with Talliesin,muppetry,but muppetry that was getting a mostly serious response)
    DeV got rid of Snyper,as he said, because he had gotten on his nerves.

Proper feedback gets a proper response.Then again it also gets Boardsie Cards and Cats too,as JOKES.
    but the ones aimed to "belittle" the OPs, are usually for idiotic nonsense,or someone acting the fool, as Beruthiel said, they get "cut to shreds" if theyre acting the prat or causing shenanigans.
    seriously, the bandwagon is getting fairly full at the moment.

Yours sincerely,
    Boards Fanboy
    :rolleyes:

Im sorry i dont understand your point?

c'mon now togster i think iv even been victim of a smart remark myself from him here once!

ps - point taken!!!!!!

No worries...

I think you have some good points. I brought them up before too. You see what happens in these threads is that people refuse to see the others point of view.

People with genuine concerns about how feedback functions are often lumped together with the trolls and tards who see it as an oppurtunity to settle a grievance. Some mods and other "regular posters" see it as an attack on them, which to be fair is sometimes the case.

I really think someone should come up with a coherent balanced list of things they seem wrong with feedback. And i also think Admins should make it clear what the purpose of feedback actually is and let this be a mod wide concensus. If grievances for bannings are to be taken to help desk than so be it. I also think that if is to be help desk then a mod should moderate it to limit the spastic behaviour (from both sides) so the proces can work

to break it down for you stevoman,
    a)i think people tend to make big deals over nothing,or hold grudges/be stubborn
    b)i also think feedback is not as bad as the nay sayers are claiming it is. it can be bad, but in all fairness, people acting the maggot deserve to be poked fun of. those who aren't do not, but people seem to be mistaking jokes for belittlement.
    hope that clears things up a bit for you.

No worries...

I think you have some good points. I brought them up before too. You see what happens in these threads is that people refuse to see the others point of view.

People with genuine concerns about how feedback functions are often lumped together with the trolls and tards who see it as an oppurtunity to settle a grievance. Some mods and other "regular posters" see it as an attack on them, which to be fair is sometimes the case.

I really think someone should come up with a coherent balanced list of things they seem wrong with feedback. And i also think Admins should make it clear what the purpose of feedback actually is and let this be a mod wide concensus. If grievances for bannings are to be taken to help desk than so be it. I also think that if is to be help desk then a mod should moderate it to limit the spastic behaviour (from both sides) so the proces can work

sound togster. im glad to see that you take on board my points. also fair play for keeping me in line before i could have let myself down with a rant! :)

• Advertisement

I really think someone should come up with a coherent balanced list of things they seem wrong with feedback. And i also think Admins should make it clear what the peupose of feedback actually is and let this be a mod wide concensus. If grievances for bannings are to be taken to help desk than so be it. I also think that if it to be help desk then a mod should moderate it and to limit the spastic behaviour (from both sides) so the proces can work
    good point, if someone has a real problem and just wants to sort it with mod peoples,they should bring it to feedback.
    if its anything boards related they want peoples opinions on, feedback.
    i ask questions in feedback about boards rules and features and have no problems (because its probably so boring :)).
    if someone wants a fite teh power rant for everyone to see, post in feedback. perhaps a sticky saying such?
    good idea/bad idea?

Advertisement